Saturday, September 5, 2009

My wednesday; Uncle's wedding. .perhaps a realization. .

The funniest thing about all of this so far is that the moment I decide to start sharing my series of romantic events with the world wide web, all of a sudden, I go on a dry spell! WTF guys!? Hah. My roommate and I laughed about it today and she suggested that I back track and share funny stories of my summer dating... which is something I can totally do.. but it's just not the same because those moments have passed and things have changed so it makes it different as opposed to a date to date play by play, ya know?!
Another wedding. . . YEP. This time, my uncle's. On Wednesday night. This was only the 3rd wedding ceremony in my life that I've had the privledge to actually witness. (All the rest, I've only been able to attend the reception.) But can I just say, it really got me thinking.
My little brother and his girlfriend (of nearly 3 yrs, she's an absolute peach, love her)came to pick me up from work. We headed back to my place for a quick costume change. Previously that day while I sat at my desk, I mentally scanned through my closet, looking for an outfit for tonight's agenda.. It was just a small and simple garden ceremony with close family and friends and the a light meal afterwards with music and the traditional cake cutting. This was my uncle's 2nd wedding, so it wasn't one of those great big fancy schmancy shindigs. I figured my attire need not be too formal. I decided on my cute little black "shirt/dress" with the floral knit white detail on the hem and a high waist tie-belt, black leggings w/lace and my favorite Steve Madden black satin 3 inch stilletto peep-toe sling-back ankle strap "get-it girl!" heels. I love those shoes :) I figured it was a good "mini-wedding" combo, the leggings to be more casual, but the dangerously sexy heels for the "wow" affect. PLUS, what if there were any eligible bachelors present that my uncle failed to inform me of before-hand?! I had to be prepared. We show up and the first thing I realize is that all of my family members there are with their own "better-half." All except my youngest brother, at 17 he has no need to be messing in this serious relationship BS. So I find myself being the only single person there other than my 17yr pubecent brother. I grab my uncle before the other guests start arriving, "do you guys have any hot single men coming to this party or what?!", mostly joking... "Oh! Hhmm, maybe?" . . . Not much help there. Then I breifly panic because he has this look on his face like "who can I introduce my neice to...?" How embarrassing. I duck into the bathroom until I feel it safe to come out which was like 2 minutes before the bride came down the aisle. I made it to my seat just in time. I'm sandwiched between my little brother and my dad in the second row. So close, I can see the sweat on my uncle's upper lip. He was nervous! And suddenly my thoughts turned to what was going on in his mind... it is his 2nd go around, afterall. Was he scared? Was he doubting all of a sudden? Was he just so excited? I wished for a moment I could read his mind. And then we all stood and turned to the bride beginning her walk up the aisle. Goosebumps. She looked B E A U T I F U L. Not because the dress or hair do, but because she was absolutely GLOWING with pure happiness. I could just see how amazing she felt at that moment to be taking those last steps as a single woman and into the loving arms of the one she will spend all of time with. I turned for a moment to look at my uncle standing under the wrought iron, flower adorned archway and he too was just BEAMING. I saw my uncle's eyes swell up with tears of joy and that made my own eyes do the same. I looked back to her again. The looks of only love and adoration for one another was all I could see now. That nervous, anxious look that my uncle had before was completely washed away. I realized at that moment that I could not even comprehend what that must feel like. . . being so happy and in love with another person that it brings tears to your eyes. I found myself just for a moment longing to know what that must feel like. Just a glimpse into that world. I was so at peace with their union and so so happy for them to be so happy to have eachother. I couldn't help but wonder if this is what it would be like when I someday marry.
"You may kiss as husband and wife". . .
They mostly just held one another so tight while we all applauded and laughed. How safe that must feel.
The evening continued on to the garden reception. My brother was asked to sing and play their song on his guitar while they danced. It was more a medly of 2 of their songs. One of which was "Perhaps Love" by John Denver, I'm one to really take notice of lyrics to a song, and this one stood out to me at the time.

Perhaps love is like a resting place
A shelter from the storm
It exists to give you comfort
It is there to keep you warm
And in those times of trouble
When you are most alone
The memory of love will bring you home

Perhaps love is like a window
Perhaps an open door
It invites you to come closer
It wants to show you more
And even if you lose yourself
And don't know what to do
The memory of love will see you through

Oh, Love to some is like a cloud
To some as strong as steel

For some a way of living
For some a way to feel

And some say love is holding on
And some say letting go
And some say love is everything
And some say they don't know

Perhaps love is like the ocean
Full of conflict, full of pain
Like a fire when it's cold outside
Thunder when it rains
If I should live forever
And all my dreams come true
My memories of love will be of you

And some say love is holding on
And some say letting go

And some say love is everything
Some say they don't know

Perhaps love is like the ocean
Full of conflict, full of pain
Like a fire when it's cold outside
Or thunder when it rains
If I should live forever
And all my dreams come true
My memories of love will be of you

All in all, it was a beautiful evening, and has given me a new perspective on love. Perhaps love is Something to look forward to and a caution to be prepared.
Of course, until then I will continue to have love in my heart and joy in my step. Afterall, this life was meant to be enjoyed, regardless.
Remember, The world always looks brighter from behind a smile. Sweetest dreams. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment